Warm Rapini & Potato Salad
I see leaves on the ground in the morning and cool breeze taking over the morning warmth – this could mean one thing, fall is approaching slowly and I love it. This summer went by so fast but I am loving the new cooler weather. As much as I love seeing the sun, I am not a happy camper when it gets too warm. Right now is just perfect weather, cool but still sunny!
This recipe is so wonderful for this time of the year. Its a salad but its warm and a bit hearty. I oven roasted the potatoes with herbs and olive oil, and served it over a bed of rapini which I sauteed in a little olive oil with garlic, red chili and sun dried tomatoes. To add crunch I sprinkled some toasted pine nuts and thinly sliced onions. Serve it with a nice slice of sourdough bread toasted in olive oil and you have perfect dinner. Replace rapini with any other greens of your choice – kale, spinach or collard is a great choice.
Serving 1 large plate of salad
5 to 6 baby potatoes, washed and halved
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried basil
3 bunches rapini, stems removed
handful of arugula
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup onions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp pine nuts
1 tsp chili flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl add potatoes, 1 tbsp olive oil, dried basil & parsley and salt. Toss to mix well. Arrange it on a baking tray in a single layer. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or till the potatoes are cooked through.
- Toast the pine nuts lightly, keep aside.
- Blanch the rapini in hot water for 1 minute and immediately place in ice cold water for 5 minutes. Drain the water and squeeze excess water from rapini. Separate the leaves lightly using your fingers. Keep aside.
- In a skillet heat 2 tbsp olive oil on medium low heat.
- Add garlic and saute for a minute or till the garlic gets fragrant.
- Add chili and sun dried tomatoes. Saute for a minute.
- Add rapini and stir to coat well with olive oil. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Arrange the salad – place a handful of fresh arugula on a plate. Add the sauteed rapini with all the olive oil and any other liquid that may have released while sauteing. Place roasted potatoes. Sprinkle sliced onions, pine nuts and fresh basil leaves (optional). Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil all over and serve immediately.