Noodle Soup in Spicy Peanut Broth
I am a big fan of noodle soups and it is in my top 5 list of comfort foods. This recipe is super simple and you can pretty much throw in whatever vegetables you have left in your fridge. Carrots, snow-peas, pumpkin, squashes, mushrooms, scallions etc work great with this recipe. The broth is easy and made with peanut butter and spice up with sriracha and sweet chili sauce. You can also add coconut milk to the broth which will make it more rich and wholesome but this time I have only added vegetable stock to keep the soup on the lighter side.
Its a very quick and easy recipe and is great to replace any kind of instant noodle preparation. Granted it takes more time but it is so much more nutritious and wholesome. Its a gluten free and vegan recipe and makes your tummy happy.
Serving for 2
Cooking time 30 minutes
For the broth
2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
1 can vegetable stock
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp sriracha (or less, as per taste)
2 tsp sweet chili sauce
1 cup water
1 cup pumpkin, peeled and diced
handful of mixed mushrooms
2 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/4 cup lotus stem, sliced
4 to 5 snow-peas
rice noodles (for 2)
few sliced red chili peppers
2/4 cup diced tofu
handful of fresh cilantro
few lemon wedges
To make the broth
- Add vegetable stock and water in a deep pot and bring to a simmer.
- In a separate bowl mix together peanut butter, soy sauce, sriracha and sweet chili sauce.
- Once the broth starts to simmer add the peanut butter mix to it and stir gently to mix well. Continue to cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Give it a taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Turn the heat to minimum and leave the broth covered while you prepare the veggies for soup.
To put the soup together
- Steam pumpkin and lotus stem together till they turn soft.
- Stir fry mixed mushrooms & snow peas in a little oil with some salt for a few minutes.
- Boil rice noodles until soft and strain. run through ta water to cool completely (this will avoid them from sticking to each other).
- Divide the noodles and veggies into 2 bowls. Ladle the hot peanut broth on it.
- Place few pieces of tofu and sliced red chili pepper. Sprinkle chopped cilantro, scallions and serve with a wedge of lemon.