Strawberry Yogurt Tartelette
This dessert is everything healthy and a treat for all the tart lovers out there. The filling for the tartelettes can be made with any fruit – I have used strawberries but feel free to experiment with other berries, mangoes, peaches or pears…..mostly fruits with pulp. I basically mixed the fruit pulp with yogurt and some cream & sweetened it with honey. This recipe could be made with store bought fruit flavored yogurt but if you make the filling at home then its going to be a lot better as you can control the sweetness and quality of the ingredients much better. It is super simple to put together anyway.
I dry roasted the flour before making the dough as it gives the dough a nice nutty flavor which compliments the ingredients used to make the dough. Instead of using regular butter I used peanut butter (homemade) and some honey to put the dough together. The peanut butter adds a great flavor and nice color and it is also a better choice than the regular butter.
It is a quick and a delicious dessert which can not only be done with different fruits but is also on the healthier side. Spring is here – make most of the beautiful fruits that are being sold in your farmer’s market. Enjoy!
Serving 5 tartelettes
Cooking time 30 to 40 minutes
For the dough
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tbsp honey
2 to 3 tbsp peanut butter
- In a pan dry roast the flour on medium low till it becomes light brown in color and starts smelling nutty.
- Once toasted, remove the flour from heat and let cool.
- Add honey and peanut butter to the flour and knead it with your hands to form a dough.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes (wrapped in a plastic wrap) for 10 minutes. Divide the dough into 5 equal parts.
- Take one part of the dough and using your fingertips press it into the tart shell till its equally distributed and forms the shape of the tart shell. Repeat for the rest of the shells.
- Bake at 350 F for 10 minutes. Cool completely before filling the yogurt mixture.
For Strawberry Yogurt
1 cup Greek yogurt
2 tbsp cream
1 pint fresh strawberries, roughly cut into small pieces (save a few for garnish)
2 tbsp honey (or more if you prefer it sweeter)
dash of vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, add strawberries, honey and vanilla.
- Using a fork mash up the strawberries till it becomes pulpish – but you can still see some chunks of the fruit here and there.
- In a separate bowl whisk yogurt and cream together till it forms a smooth lump free mixture.
- Fold in the strawberries into the yogurt mixture.
- If the yogurt is not cool then refrigerate this filling for an hour before spooning it into the tart shell.
- Spoon the cooled yogurt strawberry mixture into the tart shell.
- Garnish with some slivered almonds and fresh strawberries.
- Serve right away.