Simple Chocolate Cake for Veggie Zest’s 1st birthday!
1 year of food blogging, over a hundred recipes and an undying passion for making good food and taking good photographs – this past one year has been truly inspirational in my blogging journey. I am so thankful to all the followers of veggie zest for showing so much interest and an open mind & attitude towards meat free food – you guys are so fantastic. Thank you so much for all the lovely comments and thoughts you leave on my blog (even with or without getting a reply)…it inspires me and makes me truly happy! As a token of thanks to all of you and since all you guys enjoy desserts more than any other recipe (don’t think I didn’t notice! ) – I have put together an all chocolate dessert recipe book for a free download (see on the right column). Hope you will enjoy the book as much as I loved designing it and putting it together. Feel free to share it with you friends and family members.
Also, since its traditionally to make cakes on birthdays and because we all love desserts so much today’s post is a simple chocolate cake (not included in the recipe book). I have made this cake a few times now and it has certainly become my go-to recipe for chocolate cake. Its simple and quick to put together – the only waiting time is when the cake is baking in the oven. I used yogurt in the batter which keeps the cake moist for many days. Ice the cake with a rich ganache or not – either way it’s a delicious cake.
Suggestion: Make cake pops with the leftover cake & ganache when the cake starts getting a little dry.
Serving 8 slices
cooking time 15 minutes plus baking time
Things you will need:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 cup sugar
1 tsp instant coffee
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate
3/4 cup plain yogurt (whisked to form a smooth consistency)
- Preheat the oven at 350 F. Dust an 8 inch cake pan of your choice of shape.
- Whisk flour, cocoa and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Add sugar and mix using a whisk to combine properly. Keep aside.
- In a saucepan add butter, water, instant coffee and chopped chocolate. Melt on medium heat till the mixture starts resembling hot chocolate. Turn the heat off, let cool.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the flour mixture and whisk to form a lump free batter.
- Add eggs, one by one and mix well.
- Add yogurt and using a spatula mix it into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for about 40 minutes or till a skewer comes out clean upon inserting into the center of the cake.
- Cool completely before icing with the ganache.