Spicy Black Bean Sliders
Today’s recipe is just in time for Canada Day & July 4th. Its a little something that my vegetarian and vegan friends can make and enjoy while not having to rely on the crappy frozen veggie burger patty. Unlike the frozen stuff – this patty is moist and so, so flavorful. I made the patty spicy but you can totally control the heat and skip on some of the ingredients to match your own taste palette. You can double the size of the patty and tun this into a burger as well.
The patty is loaded with veggies that I like but can be replaced with whatever your heart desires. I pan fried these patties and since I didn’t add any eggs in the mixture (to keep it vegan), they are quiet delicate. If you want a firmer patty and still want it to be vegan then just add one boiled and mashed potato to the filling and bake it in the oven @ 350F for 10 minutes after pan frying. I used sriracha mayo in the sliders which can be substituted by plain mayo or any other kind of spread. These are easy to make and really spot on, on the flavor.
Makes 12 slider patties
1 can black beans
1/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 serrano pepper, chopped (optional)
1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
1/4 cup carrot, finely chopped
1/4 cup bread crumbs
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 tsp mustard sauce
1 tbsp thai sweet chili sauce
2 tbsp sriracha
salt & pepper
olive oil or any neutral oil for pan frying
- Wash and rinse the canned beans thoroughly. Drain and transfer into a large mixing bowl. Using a potato masher or a fork semi mash the beans.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix to form a homogeneous mixture.
- Take about a tablespoon of mixture between you r palms and roll into a tight ball. Place on a cutting board and pat lightly to form a patty as big in size as the slider bun. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Heat oil (1 tbsp at a time) in a non stick pan over medium heat and fry the patties over medium low heat till they turn brown on both sides – approx 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Remove from the pan and place on a tray line with paper towel.
To Assemble the sliders: Smear sriracha mayo on the bottom bun and place some arugula on top. Place the patty on arugula and top it with some caramelized onions. Close the slider with the top bun and insert a toothpick to hold everything in place.