Cinnamon Swirl Baked Donuts
The entire time I lived in Florida, for some reason I never ate the cinnamon swirl cake from Starbucks. Its my husband’s favorite and yet I didn’t know anything about it up until our recent trip to Orlando. I tasted the cake for the first time and totally loved it. We were in Orlando just for 3 days so I couldn’t get enough of it…because surprisingly none of the other Starbucks have that cake – I checked in Michigan, Vancouver and in Toronto. So upon our return to India I looked up for the recipe and found many versions of the cinnamon swirl cake and made a few of them. They were close but not the same. So, that will have to be a treat kept aside just for when I visit FL.
From my recent trip to Toronto, I picked up a donut pan from a store in St. Lawrence market (which I totally love by the way). There are many baked donut recipes floating around on the internet and with my recent obsession with the cinnamon swirl cake I thought it would be great to combine both and make a cinnamon swirl donut.
The result was pretty satisfactory as it had all the flavors from the cake. I glazed the donuts with a basic glaze but they can be left alone as the swirl and the crumble top makes for a pretty moist donut by itself. But for you if a donut is not a donut unless its glazed then go ahead and drizzle some basic glaze made of sugar, vanilla and milk or some chocolate sauce would taste pretty darn good as well. These donuts are a great substitute for the fried version and makes for an awesome breakfast.
Serving 12 donuts
Cooking time 15 minutes plus baking time
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cocoa powder
3 tsp ground cinnamon
Make the swirl mixture by combining all the ingredients together and mixing them well. Keep Aside
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp white sugar
3 tbsp butter, cold and cut into small squares
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup flour
In a bowl add all the ingredients and using a fork combine the mixture till it starts resembling wet sand. Refrigerate till ready to use.
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup fine sugar
1 tsp banking powder
- Preheat the oven at 350F/180C.
- Spray the donut pan with some cooking spray and dust lightly with flour. Keep aside.
- In a bowl mix together flour and baking powder. keep aside
- In a large mixing bowl add eggs and sugar and using a whisk mix together to form a smooth mixture.
- Add oil and mix well.
- Roughly whisk the yogurt and add to the egg mixture. Mix to form a smooth batter.
- Add flour and mix just until its all incorporated. Do not over mix once you add the flour.
- Fill in the donut pan a little less than half with the batter. Sprinkle the swirl mixture enough to cover the batter completely. Spoon in some more batter on top of the swirl mixture. Make sure that your final layer of batter fills up half of your donut pan. Any more and the donuts will rise out of the pan and get stuck to each other.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture on each donut and bake for 20 minutes or till a skewer comes out clean upon inserting in the center.
- Once the donuts cool completely you can top them with some simple glaze – made out of confectioners sugar, vanilla and milk.