Chocolate Fudge Sauce & Chocolate Fudge Sundae
Today’s post is about a chocolate sauce that was a result of overheating a chocolate frosting that I made for lamingtons. In other words a happy accident! My sauce which was runny in consistency (exactly how its supposed to be to cover lamingtons) oozed out of the jar after I forgot it in the microwave and overheated it for an extra minute. When I took it out, it had turned into this thick fudgy deliciousness – too thick for the lamingtons but delicious nonetheless. The sauce reminded me of a sundae that I, and many other Delhiites grew up eating. It is this sundae sold at a restaurant called Nirula’s and its made out of vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce and is called the hot chocolate fudge sundae.
SO I thought I will make the sauce like the fudge sauce and also make the sundae for this post! Now, there are a lot of ways you can flavor the chocolate fudge sauce – you can add coffee, orange, liquor, mint etc. or whatever your heart desires. Its an easy sauce with few ingredients so its kind of crucial that you use good quality cocoa when you make the recipe. Dutch cocoa would be fantastic! You literally dump the ingredients in a bowl and cook it over a double boiler till it gets thick. Thats it!
The sauce will stay good in an airtight mason jar inside your fridge for upto a month. You can make the suggested sundae out of it or drizzle it warm over some fresh fruit or eat it right out of the jar – it will make you feel happy no matter how you eat it!
On another note, I will be reviewing restaurants on Veggie Zest from now on. I am neither getting paid for it nor any of the restaurants have asked me to review them. Its just something I thought I will start here so that it can help all you travelers out there. My opinion and comments will be genuine, unbiased and based on my taste palette (which I am sure you know by now is pretty evolved & awesome ;)) I will review restaurants as and when I visit them in different cities and countries….hopefully my recommendations and comments will help you guys find good food on your trips.
For Chocolate Fudge Sauce
2 cups confectioner’s sugar or powdered sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened good quality cocoa
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
- You will need a double boiler for making he sauce. To make that fill up a deep pan halfway with tap water and place it on high heat.
- In a large heat proof bowl (preferably with a small base) add all your ingredients and mix roughly.
- Once the water starts to boil, reduce the heat to medium low and place your heat proof bowl on it making sure that the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water.
- Start whisking the mixture while it cooks on the double boiler.
- Keep whisking gently and cook for about 12 to 15 minutes or till the sugar melts and the sauce starts to thicken up.
- Once the sauce is thick enough to somewhat create a coating on the back of a spoon, remove the bowl from the heat.
- Let the sauce cool for a few minutes and then transfer it in sterilized and dry mason jar/s. Leave the sauce uncovered till it cools completely, then close the lid and place it in the fridge. The sauce will last you for a month.
For Chocolate Fudge Sundae
3 to 4 scoops of vanilla ice cream
2 tbsp chocolate fudge sauce
1 tbsp toasted cashews, chopped into small pieces
- warm up the chocolate sauce for about 30 to 40 seconds in the microwave.
- In a sundae glass pour 1 tbsp of chocolate sauce.
- Add 2 scoops of ice cream followed by a small drizzle of sauce and a sprinkle of cashews.
- Add 2 more scoops of ice cream and drizzle the rest of the sauce and a sprinkle of the rest of the cashews. Serve immediately!