Wild Rice Salad
Something light and delicious for this week’s recipe. I am sure after all the fancy dinners and night outs on the 14th you must be ready for something refreshing, light and healthy. This salad has so much character and flavor. The wild rice has its own flavor and I enhanced it with balsamic vinegar, cilantro, mint and all the veggies, and added texture and crunch with pomegranate seeds (which also gives out a great tangy/sweet flavor) and pistachio.
Its an easy and a hearty salad that can be made an hour in advance before serving. Its a vegan salad but you can serve it with a yogurt & tahini dip.
Serving for 2 to 3 people
1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
4 cups water
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
1 cucumber, diced in small pieces
1 small tomato, diced in small pieces
1 small red onion, diced in small pieces
1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced in small pieces
1/4 cup pistachios
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp mustard
salt and pepper
- In a large pot bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add uncooked rice and stir briefly. Cover and cook over medium heat till the rice is cooked through. Strain the rice and remove all the excess liquid.
- In a bowl add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk to form a smooth dressing. Add chopped onions to the dressing and mix well. Keep aside.
- Toast the pistachios in a pan for a few minutes. remove from heat and let cool completely. Roughly chop the pistachios and keep aside.
- In a large bowl add cooked rice, chopped cucumber, tomatoes, bell pepper, pomegranate, mint and cilantro. Mix well.
- Add the dressing along with the onions and stir well till all the rice grains are coated evenly with the dressing. Cover and keep on the kitchen counter for 30 minutes.
- Stir the salad once more before placing it in the serving bowl. Sprinkle some chopped pistachios and serve.