Coconut Rice + Wilted Greens
Forget fried rice – if you like the flavor of coconut then this is going to become your new favorite way to prepare rice. This recipe originates from the Southern region of India and can be put together with just a few ingredients. Coconut milk is the star of this recipe as Southern India is tropical and is a big producer of coconut. I used ghee to make this rice but if you want it vegan then replace ghee with coconut oil – the switch will also give you an enhanced coconut flavor.
Its so flavorful that you don’t need much to accompany this coconut rice, just pair it with some salad or wilted greens like I did. Since these rice cook in 1 part coconut milk, this recipe is quiet hearty. Its a great recipe to prepare for a light lunch or as a side dish for dinner.
Serving 2 to 3 people
1 cup basmati rice, washed and soaked in water for 30 min
1 cup water
1 cup coconut milk
1 medium onion, sliced
2 green cardamom
3 to 4 pieces cloves
1 star anise
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
6 to 7 cashews
1 bay leaf
1 green chili, slit lengthwise
- In a thick bottom pan add ghee or coconut oil and melt on medium low heat.
- Add onions and cook till they turn translucent.
- Add mustard seeds, green chili, star anise, cloves, cardamom and cashews. Stir fry for a couple minutes or till all the spices become fragrant.
- Drain the rice and add to the pan. Stir gently to coat all the rice grains with spices and onions. Cook stirring for a minute.
- Add coconut milk and water and stir gently to mix well. Add salt and mix.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let the rice cook on low heat for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Check if the rice is cooked through after 10 minutes. Once the rice is tender and all the liquid has evaporated, turn the heat off and let the rice sit covered in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and serve hot.
3 cup greens, use any greens or mix of greens – I used spinach and watercress
1 tsp olive oil
couple pinches of salt
In a sauce pan heat oil. Add greens and stir to cook for a couple minutes or till the greens wilt down. Remove in a bowl and mix in salt.