Quick Naan Pizza
Do you ever come across a situation when you want a pizza on an impulse but don’t have the dough?! You also don’t want to order in because you want something quick and homemade. A pizza made on a naan bread is a great compromise in situations like these. For naan- use the kind that is sold in a store for this recipe and not the one they make in the restaurant. The ones sold in the store are thicker and work as a steady base for the Pizza.
This is a great recipe to make when you have a lot of people in the house as pizza is always a crown pleaser. It calls for ingredients that are staple in any Indian kitchen, so its fantastic to make on holidays or days when the grocery stores might not be open. A quick recipe with warming Indian spices to tease your taste buds in the cold weather!
Serving 2 naan pizzas
2 naan bread
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 cup okra, halved or quartered lengthwise (depending on the size)
1 cup paneer (Indian cottage cheese), grated
1 to 2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp sugar
salt + pepper
Make the Sauce
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook stirring frequently till they turn translucent.
- Add cumin, garam masala, sugar & S + P. Stir to mix well and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and stir. Cover and cook on medium heat stirring a couple times in between for about 10 minutes or till the tomatoes break down. Stir to mix well and taste to adjust seasoning. Remove from hear, let cool.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan and stir fry the okra with a pinch of salt till its almost cooked through and turns slightly golden. Remove from heat, let cool.
Assemble the Pizza
- Preheat the oven at 350 F.
- Lightly brush the naan bread with oil.
- Spoon a couple tablespoons of the sauce and spread in an even layer.
- Add cooked okra and sprinkle a generous amount of grated paneer. Sprinkle with S + P.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or till the edges of the bread gets slightly golden.
- Remove from the oven, let cool slightly cut into slices and serve.