Beet Halva Mini Pies
Christmas is right around the corner and these beet halva mini pies are a perfect recipe to add to the festivities. The inspiration for this recipe comes from the mincemeat pie – a traditional British pie. I filled these mini pies with a beetroot halva spiced with cardamom and cinnamon. I folded in a mix of nuts to add texture and flavor. The liquid from the halva oozes out from the score marks as the pie bakes. I used a star pattern to top the pies to make it a little more festive. You can pick you favorite pattern for this part or skip it completely, either way they are going to taste delicious.
To speed things up I used a store bought puff pastry dough, because who wants to stress on making things from scratch if you can make it easier for yourself. Use the free time to enjoy and have fun with family. Happy Holidays you guys!
Serving 8 mini pies
Puff pastry (store bought)
3 cups beetroot, grated
1/3 cup sugar
pinch of salt
2 tsp ground green cardamom
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup almonds, roughly chopped
1/4 cup pistachio, roughly chopped
2 tbsp ghee
- In a pot add grated beetroot with a pinch of salt. On low heat start cooking the beetroot. It will release liquid as it cooks. Continue to cook stirring occasionally till 80% of the liquid is evaporated.
- Add sugar and mix well. Continue to cook for another 5 to 8 minutes. Taste the beetroot at this point to check if its soft. If you feel that it still has a bite to it then add a couple tablespoons of water and cook covered on low heat for extra 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add ghee and and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the spices and fold in the nuts and turn the heat off. Let cool completely.
- Grease a regular size muffin tray and keep aside.
- Roll out the puff pastry into about 1.8 inch thickness. Pick a round biscuit cutter slightly bigger than the circumference of one muffin round. Cut 8 rounds in this size and 8 rounds in one size smaller. Optional: cut a small pattern (star, snow flake, leaf etc) to place on top of the pie.
- Place the bigger round in the muffin tray at the bottom (it should come up 3/4 of the way around the edges). Place 1 tbsp of the beetroot halva filling in the center. Eggwash the sides of the pastry and place the smaller circle on top – press the edges to seal. Repeat with other rounds.
- Eggwash the tops of the pies and using a sharp knife poke a couple holes on the surface.
- If using a decorative pattern cutout, place it on top of the egg washed surface and add more eggwash on the pattern.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for 25 to 30 minutes or till golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, cool till slightly warm – serve with powdered sugar.