Vegan Ramen (Noodle Soup)
I have been trying my hands on making ramen at home for sometime now. With a few failed attempts I finally made a recipe that I was happy with. This recipe is like one those where you get noodles in a creamy broth. I made a special trip to the Asian grocery store (TNT) to pick my favorite ramen noodles to go with the soup. You too might have to make a trip to a specialty store before you plan to make this recipe – unless you cook a lot of Asian food already.
There are some really nice ramen joints in Vancity, some of my favorites are Jinya Ramen Bar and Donburiya on Robson. However, my all time favorite is Ramen Isshin on College street in Toronto. I just love all their vegetarian selection.
This recipe is sort of inspired by all these places I guess. The soup is not spicy at all and the number of things you can top the noodle bowl with is endless. I used tofu, shitake mushrooms, green onions and kimchi. (you can find the recipe to my homemade kimchi here). This recipe is comfort food in a bowl.
Serving for 2 people
3 shitake mushrooms, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small piece of ginger, minced
2 tsp sesame oil
3 cups vegetable stock
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1 tbsp miso (medium strength)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tbsp sriracha
2 tsp brown sugar
1/2 cup soy milk
ramen noodle, fresh and thin
Tofu, diced and stir fried in 1/2 tbsp oil
green onions, thinly sliced
3 shitake mushrooms
- To make the soup, in a deep pot heat sesame oil and add sliced mushrooms, ginger and garlic. Cook stirring frequently for about 2 minutes on low heat.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil, covered.
- Add all the ingredients one by on except the soy milk. Cook covered and bring to a boil on low heat.
- Once the soup comes to a boil, add soy milk and stir.
- Add 3 whole shitake mushrooms and let the soup simmer covered on low heat for about 20 minutes so that all the flavors develop nicely. Taste to adjust the seasoning.
- When the soup is almost done – in a separate pot bring water to boil and cook the noodle for a couple of minutes.
- Strain the noodles and place in a serving bowl. Ladle the soup over the noodles, place the toppings and serve right away.