Mixed Nut Brittle with Dark Chocolate
Holiday Season is here….Yayy! Everyone’s making goodies, spending time with family or taking a vacation (or in my case have taken one already) either way eating good food. That’s one of the things I love about holidays – you get to eat good food that you don’t feel guilty about. I have been munching on chocolate cookies for past two days and before that the husband and I took a pre-holiday vacation in Kashmir where I ate all the authentic curries and breads from the street and at the restaurants.
Last week was our anniversary and my birthday week and we decided on traveling and spending some quality time together – a ritual I hope we can sustain in the coming years. Kashmir is one of THE gorgeous places that I have ever seen so far – I went crazy taking pictures..of the food, the people and the landscape. Its snowing in the mountains there – perfect weather to please all my senses. I am a winter child in all true sense, I guess!
Now about this recipe – it is an easy peasy recipe for last minute holiday giveaways and to impress your friends at the same time. If you follow the recipe exactly and not change any measurement you will land up with a beautiful golden and delicious tasting brittle. It has minimum ingredients and very few steps – so its important to follow them or else you will land up with a big bowl of burnt caramel not knowing what to do with it….like me!
Brittle is fantastic to munch on and tastes really well with tea and coffee. Its instant energy as its a combination of nuts and sugar and in this case covered with dark chocolate as well. Its fun to give it to your children to break with a little hammer or a rolling pin – since its in no specific shape you don’t have to worry about the pieces being perfect. Have fun with it this season.
I wish you all very happy holidays and a fantastic 2013. Hope the new year brings in loads of joy, success and peace in your lives.
Lots of love & good wishes,
Cooking time 20 minutes
1 hour for cooling
Things you will need:
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups mixed nuts, roughly chopped and roasted. I used a combination of almond, walnut, peanuts, pistachio, pumpkin seed & sesame seed. Feel free to use your own combination in any preferred ratio.
1 cup dark chocolate
a pinch of salt
- Prepare a baking sheet or a cake pan by rubbing some butter on the surface. Also prepare a spatula by rubbing some oil or butter on it.
- Mix all the nuts in one bowl. Keep aside.
- In a sauce pan add sugar, vanilla, water and salt and lightly mix with a spoon.
- Cook on high heat for 3 minutes without stirring the mixture, until sugar begins to melt and starts turning golden.
- Turn the heat to low and add all the nuts.
- Mix quickly with a spatula till all the nuts are covered with caramel.
- Immediately pour the mixture onto buttered baking sheet. Quickly spread mixture to 1/2 inch thick using an oiled spatula.
- Let cool completely.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or microwave. Pour over the cooled brittle and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Refrigerate till the chocolate cools and sets completely. Break the brittle into desired pieces.